Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Brief escape of a bike ride

Today, I needed a mellow bike ride to escape reality. It worked, until I arrived home, and remembered what I'd been escaping. Some days, the feeling of freedom from a bike ride lasts for hours, and on other days, it abruptly vanishes as I walk through the door.

I'm feeling sad about S, as we watch the cancer take its toll and know that the end is drawing near. In the midst of the sadness, I've felt like S has been reaching out to showing me his love. S is an independent dog, who likes being petted and hugged, but only briefly. He doesn't seek lavish attention and isn't ecstatic when he gets it. The past two evenings, just before I climbed into bed, S followed my face with his deep brown eyes, and I felt certain that his eyes radiated love. Both times, I snuggled with him, and he seemed more content with my closeness than ever before. That's a gift.

I felt particularly lucky to have K with me during our mountain bike ride today. No matter what, she and I get only a limited number of days on this Earth, and I don't plan to squander them. My legs felt tired, lacking any spark, so I decided to simply enjoy the spring day at a slow pace. We rolled through a wet pine forest amidst the sweet scent of sun-warmed pine duff. At the transition to an aspen forest, the piercingly bright combination of white tree trunks, dark green leaves, and deep blue sky became our entire world.
I've vowed to climb to one new lookout spot or explore an uncharted section of forest frequently this summer. It's too easy to fall into ruts, riding the same trails each day and never bothering to explore the new territory that's literally next to the well-traveled path. Today, I propped my bike against a tree and climbed a big pile of boulders that blocked our view to the west.
K leaped from rock-to-rock and stopped for a stretch on her way to the view point.
At the top, a small fortress had naturally emerged with boulders surrounding a small sandy pit. It looked like an ideal spot for an animal to relax during the day, completely invisible, but I didn't see any obvious wildlife signs. It also looked like a great spot for a small tent, assuming no lightning storms arrived. The view was stupendous.At the next intersection, we detected a vague trace of a trail and followed it. It led to a logged area, where aspens and shrubs are flourishing, and the plowed down pine forest has created views.
We kept taking right turns, hoping to make a new loop from this almost non-existent, and at times undetectable, path. Alas, my lack of an internal compass left my head spinning when we entered a dense pine forest. I turned around, following my tracks out and vowed to bring my GPS next time. I think a nice, previously undiscovered by me, loop might exist in this forest.

We took an aspen-dominated trail toward home, and soaked up the beauty.After I dropped off K, I continued my leisurely pace, enjoying the sun and warmth. After riding a ridge, with a sea of white, yellow, and purple flowers lining the trail, I dropped down into a dense pine forest, and to my surprise, I saw another mountain biker. He's someone I've wanted to meet for years, as I've heard other local mountain bikers mention him. What a nice guy - we talked about neighborhood trail issues, the unique mountain mindset, and laughed a lot.

After emerging from a long conversation in the pine forest, I discovered that I had a race on my hands. Towering cumulus clouds had accumulated on the western horizon, foretelling lightning storms. Racing thunder storms provides me with 'speed workouts' every summer.Today, I won the race, but only by seconds, arriving home just as the first thunder rumbled. My trifecta of wonderful labradors awaited me, giving me the hero's welcome that I always enjoy. They reminded me of how lucky I am to be loved by each of them but also reminded me of the well of sadness deep in my heart.

4 comments:

  1. I honestly do believe they know. I'm sure one of our Springer Spaniels was trying to prepare me. She was much more attentive to me with a gentle quiet manner. And then she told me when it was time.

    I think of you often when I see our two Goldens. I've been hugging them a lot more lately.

    You are so correct. All of us (man, woman, and dog) have a finite amount of time here together and we need to make the most of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI, we met months back while walking our dogs in the forest. We lost one of them a couple of weeks ago, and since then have realized all the little noises he made, detours to get around him, and some of the funny and offbeat moments he created for us. He chose to die very quickly, giving just enough time to be held by some that really loved him.
    We shouldn't kid ourselves, our animals know far more about this life than we ever will, they aren't encumbered by the distractions that lead us away from what is real.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NinjaPonyDad -- all of us are sorry to hear of your loss. We'll keep your family and KB's in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all of you for your comforting comments. This is an incredibly tough time, as only other dog-lovers can truly understand.

    NinjaPonyDad: I remember meeting you and your dogs very fondly. I saw over at DVR's blog that your eldest had died. I remember him warmly because he reminded me so much of my S - not in his looks but in his elderly gentleman demeanor. I'm so sorry that you lost him so suddenly. I've thought of you often when I pass the spot in the forest where we met. I hope that we meet again.

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!