Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Canyon hiking

My internet connection is not cooperating today (my upload speed is officially zero right now) so I'll share just a few photos that I uploaded a few days ago from our next stop in the San Rafael Swell near Temple Mountain. After exploring this area that was completely new to us, we eventually found peaceful campsites surrounded by canyon walls.
It was a land of narrow canyons cutting through great domes of rock. We rapidly learned that the dogs didn't like true "slot" canyons that are just a few feet wide and require that humans give dogs boosts over obstacles. So, we sought wider canyons that we could negotiate without needing to lift the dogs.
As the weather warmed after the rainy and cold start to our trip, we tended to hike in the evening, after the narrower parts of the canyons were mostly in the shade, as you can see in the photo above. But, the wider parts of the canyons were still bathed in sun, producing panting pups!
In this part of the Swell, I found numerous ATV trails that I was allowed to ride my mountain bike on. And, to my delight, I found almost total solitude on them. So, we fell into a pattern of running/biking in the morning, relaxing in shady spots during the heat of the day, hiking in the early evening, and hanging out in camp for the rest of the evening.

R's favorite shady spot was underneath the van. He looked a bit like a Chocolate Lab after lying in the red sand for a nap.
I had brought along books to learn more about using my dSLR camera, and I played with the camera and a tripod as the sun set.
I even experimented with night-time photos. This jagged rock face was illuminated by the moon that shined from behind me. At first, I thought that I hadn't focused the camera correctly because the stars were not pin-point. Then, I realized that the Earth had rotated by enough distance during my long exposure time to make the stars look like short streaks.
This photo made me think about the fact that, although we tend perceive the world as static and unchanging at any instant in time, it is actually perpetually revolving and evolving.

Hopefully, I'll be able to upload some photos for tomorrow to show you more of this beautiful section of the San Rafael Swell!

22 comments:

  1. After seeing your nighttime photos, I have got to try that! I just have to find a scenic place to shoot. That is remarkable!

    R looks like he's dog tired! They must have had such great fun. I am really hoping we can get back to hiking at some point this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Y'all,

    Love all the shots, but the night shot gives a new perspective to how vast the universe and how minute we really are.

    The cell phone and key remote survived since my Human didn't get totally submerged. She caught herself on her arm. Plus she still had hold of the rope from the boat.

    Being a soft mouth retriever, I don't hurt things I hold in my mouth or grab. But if my teeth hit against your bones I can do damage I don't mean to do.

    Y'all come back now,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures are amazing! You capture the beauty everywhere!! Lots of love, Debbie & Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everyone. Especailly the night shot and the perspective offered.

    Keep takin that camera with you.

    You have a huge fan base.

    Bert & VIckie

    ReplyDelete
  5. The night shot is fabulous-I'm going out to buy a tripod!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i always look forward to your pictures, and these last several posts with the desert scenery have not disappointed! amazing! i love the nighttime shot and smiling R & K. :)
    btw, i couldn't help but laugh a little at the runner's mud covered shoes. we just had our local marine corps mud run here where i live, so all that mud is still a vivid memory in my mind!

    the booker man and asa's mama

    ReplyDelete
  7. you guys are so fortunate to see that beautiful scenery every day. You probably would not know what to do in the city
    Benny & Lily

    ReplyDelete
  8. All pics, all great!

    I'm reduced to these words. . .as for your new camera, don't leave home without it!

    Cheers and hugs,

    Jo, Stella and the Mighty Z

    ReplyDelete
  9. That time-exposure is amazing. I love the desert in the moonlight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful night picture, it is just amazing and beautiful. Your pictures make me want to visit the canyons again now that I am adult so I can really appreciate its beauty!

    Thank you for the comment on my blog today. I had no idea what to expect when we visited the center, but went in with an open mind. The buddy program that you spoke about is such a wonderful idea and I can only imagine that I would of went home with a buddy too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What awesome shots! Sounds like you had a great time hiking and biking, as did the dogs. Love those kind of get aways.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glorious photos, KB! While photographing the ocean during my trip, I've become more aware of the curvature of the Earth! I used a tripod for the San Francisco dawn photo and realized that I should probably use it more, though I prefer to hand-hold the camera. (And who wants to carry a tripod most times?) K and R look joined at the shoulder. I love the photo of R sleeping - what a face!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome pictures! I love that night time one... really makes you think, huh?
    -Corbin

    ReplyDelete
  14. You outdid yourself with these photos! I'm still trying to find time to learn more about my camera settings. Those last two photos are amazing. R looks like he had a full day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my gosh,,, I love all the photos,, but the stars!!!! the stars!!!!!!!! we love the stars!!!!
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice hike. I've seen longer exposures that show the stars arcing 'round the north star. You star shot is cool.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So glad to see experimental pictures...a la nighttime..for example...can't believe the heat you are experiencing during the day...since you life always seemed to be cool!

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!