Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Friday, February 21, 2014

The Heart of a Dog

'Tis the time of year when I start dreaming of spring wildflowers.
Just before a big snow at the end of November, I scrambled to find my Columbine seeds, and I headed out onto our property to plant them in the aspen groves. I chose the end of November because snow that falls then usually doesn't melt until April or May.
So, as the snow falls, I visualize beautiful Blue Columbines resting under its protective carpet. I wonder what the Duo was visualizing in the snowstorm the other evening?
Snow and cold make these gems flourish when the sun finally warms our world. Ah, the vision of them warms my soul.
There are a few old ruins of mining cabins in our forest, and a couple of them are surrounded by Columbines, Lilacs, and Irises. As I ride past them in the summertime, I visualize a turn-of-the-century miner out there planting seeds all around the cabin. The flowers are the miner's most beautiful legacy.

And, as it snows these days, I visualize the other wildflowers that are sleeping under the snow, waiting for their time to bloom. It is so hard to believe that our world will look like this in a few months.
There's so much to look forward to... although Shyla seems completely exuberant in the moment. She loves every single day, as far as I can tell.
And that's what I love most about our dogs. I try so hard to have the Heart of a Dog.

23 comments:

  1. your dogs have the best life - freedom to romp and run and exercise and play with a loving home to live in and look over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hearts filled with smiles and love are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love columbine. Any wild flower really. They just wait for the right minute, and then there they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always so blown away by your photos!!! So amazing! I had issues with my blog domain and so now you can re-add me http://kelleethecaffeinated.blogspot.com
    Hope your shoulder is feeling better!

    Kellee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely beautiful. I will try and live with the heart of a dog too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you've got me dreaming of Spring, now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shyla is teaching us to be in the moment. I'm dreaming, too - but it's a dream that might take awhile! Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Long cold winter this year. Hope is in the flowers. (I was thrilled to find traces of a townsite in my research, with asparagus still growing by the spring. It's like making contact across the ages.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post - Spring is such a rejuvenating time of the year - hope it gets here soon:)

    Have a restful and healing weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looking forward to Spring here in the PNW. The Tulips are coming up
    April can't be too far off.
    R & Shyla enjoy every season with joy.

    xo Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete
  11. That last picture is stunning!


    Hard to imagine you're still covered in snow. It's definitely spring here; my seeds are all popping up, flowers are starting to blossom, and the dogs are shedding like mad. And snow still in May?! We're swimming by then.

    DM

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautifully written blog!

    We here in Sub-Zero City know what you are talking about. But instead of milder temps it just stays in the -5 to -20 degrees, we often get a good wind where the wind chill factor keeps us right inside. Yearning for spring!

    Jo, Stella and Zkhat

    ReplyDelete
  13. KB
    You do have the heart of a dog, and the heart of the mountains and forests that you live in. Your spirit soars,, but always remember the tall slenderous trees in the forest- sometimes they lay down,,, and when the time is right - they spring back up.
    Such beautiful photos,, beautiful words,, your heart is there- its just mending.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am dreaming and waiting for Spring too!

    But the collies seem to enjoy playing in the snow and the cold weather.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Spring will come. Can't wait to see all the flowers.

    XXXOOO Bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have us smiling, KB ☺

    Love ya lots♥
    Mitch and Molly

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are moving swiftly into summer here, and would love to hang on to the cooler weather. LOL - we are so opposite to the rest of the country.

    Monty and Harlow

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great post! We can learn so much from our dogs, can't we? Enjoy everything as it comes our way!
    KZK

    ReplyDelete
  19. Howdy Mates. Oh my gosh, your photos are so beautiful. You are looking forward to your Spring and we are about to start our Autumn. Both beautiful but oh, the cold weather is something we don't look forward to. Take care all. No worries, and love, Stella and Rory

    ReplyDelete
  20. I thought that I was nuts because I love taking pictures of my dog and cats when they are looking out of a window or at something. (mind you I am no photagrapher, just a phone clicker)Your post gives me hope, and for that I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tweedles said it so well, you do have a heart of a dog. Thank you for sharing your dogs with us.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Y'all,

    After Christmas and New Year pass, my Human thinks the longest and dreariest part of winter begins. We just got a comment from someone that they have their first daffodil bloom. We have budding trees and pollen. Spring is almost here!

    Y'all come by now,
    Hawk aka BrownDo

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the bookends picture, with each pup looking off at a mirrored angle. Perfect :)

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!