Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Friday, July 24, 2015

Fledging Friday

I have loved watching the flycatcher family who had a nest under our deck. The parents would tend the young every day. They watched over the nest.

And they caught flies to feed to the babies.
After about four and a half weeks of tending their nest, the Cordilleran Flycatcher babies in a nest under our deck took their maiden flights.

I happened to go outside midafternoon, and I saw two of the babies sitting on the edge of the nest tray. Another two babies can't be seen. They were in the nest behind these to forerunners.
One of the parents was waiting on the ground, knowing that the chicks would try to fly soon. In past years, the chicks have sometimes landed on the ground near where this parent was waiting.
It turned out that the first two babies didn't land on the ground. They went directly from their nest tray to some nearby pine trees. I spotted one of them.
Then, some ravens came into the area, and I went inside so I wouldn't possibly lead the ravens toward the baby. Ravens might kill and eat a baby bird if given the chance.

My impression was that all four baby flycatchers made it into the branches near our house. Some years, the family comes back to the nesting area once or twice during the summer. Other years, I've never seen them again. I hope that they all make it, and that perhaps one of the babies comes back to nest under our deck someday!

I love summertime!
I don't have many photos of R outside and playing but, rest assured, he's doing great!

11 comments:

  1. Oh, WOW! How adorable - and what a gift to be able to see them!!!
    KZK

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sure is a little cutie! Way to go R!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those birds are great. How fun to be able to watch all that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky you to have the nest right there and watch the little ones grow. Glad to hear that R is doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was a pair of blackbirds that nested in my Granny's garden for a few years, but never managed to raise a chick. I'm happy to see these little birds doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What adorable little birdies. We hope they all make it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. good luck little flycatchers... maybe next year the babies come back to you to build their nest :o)
    easy rider

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous shots of the flycatchers. They are adorable. I am so happy your sweet R is doing well.

    Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used to have Killdeers that came every year and laid eggs in our yard. We would mark where they were so as not to disturb them. When they hatched I loved seeing the little ones scampering around in the early morning.
    hugs
    Mr bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  10. We don't have flycatchers. I wish we did!! They are adorable - and we have a lot of flys here for them to catch!!

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!