Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Mostly Black and White Sunday

I saw our a snowstorm arrive yesterday during our evening hike. When I left the house, the wind was howling and visibility was great for a long distance. While we were up on a high plateau, the west wind stopped - just stopped - all at once. After a day of wind, it suddenly seemed so quiet. Then, the clouds oozed into our neck of the woods from the east, quickly dropping visibility to almost zero.

This photo was from after the wind stopped and as the clouds started to arrive.

Overnight, those clouds gave us only about an inch of snow. The wind blew after the snow fell, making ripples in it that reminded me of ripples in water.

That scant inch of snow made a world of difference this morning. It gave us traction on the icy trails, and it made Shyla's play powdery and beautiful!
After a little bit of sunshine this morning, another storm oozed into the area. This one will stay here for days, leaving somewhere between 1 and 2 feet of snow.

We are hunkered down, with a fire burning, as it snows silently outside. I do love the absolute quiet of a snowstorm.

Happy Sunday.

23 comments:


  1. A nice warm fire sounds like a perfect ending to a beautiful day.
    Happy Crazy Love, Shyla with the snow flying.
    XO Cinnamon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shyla, you look good in red.

    Aroo to you,
    Sully

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is something so magical about being the forest when it's misty and the visibility sucks. I don't know what it is but I love it! It's so beautiful there! I'm glad you and Shyla had some fun! I hope the new snow storm isn't too horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! The sand at the beach blows in the same pattern here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The snow is beautiful when you can be warm by a fire!
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Time to hunker down and stay warm. Keep the light on, Ciara and Lightning are on their way - they heard our big "snowstorm" is going to be a rain event.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had our second big El Nino storm today. Very dark and LOTS of rain. We actually have SNOW in our forcast for tonight, but in reality it's clear and just very cold out. Enjoy your snuggly fire!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos take my breath away - in any color!!
    KZK

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, hunker down and stay safe and warm by the fire. Watching the storm approach is better done indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once again amazing pictures. I love how you went from black and white to color

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stay hunkered. You do not need to get lost in that snow.... Its more beautiful to look out the window at it.
    love
    tweedles

    ReplyDelete
  12. How I long for some coolness, 30Celsius here today, Shyla, you shine no matter what your weather brings. All OK here,taking each day very slowly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You look fabulous in red, Shyla! Enjoy your beautiful snow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Toasty warm in front of the fire sounds wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow... the wind created a kind of a snow-ocean....would you take a bath in that ocean?

    ReplyDelete
  16. So much snow! yes hunker down good, and stay warm. I love that black and white shot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We had the same kind of storm here, the wind was howling all night long. Lots of snow in the dog run, which is sheltered, but almost bare around the yard. I tried to sign up to follow you and all that happened was that my picture showed up, so I'm sure I have been a follower for the past several years. Glad we connected.

    ReplyDelete
  18. sweet shyla. :) lovely 'brrr' shots.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have so much wind it's frightening
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  20. That first photo is very powerful looking in B&W!! But we do love the red with Shyla!

    Keep Calm & Bark On!

    Murphy & Stanley

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd say your post made me cold, but I am so cold here that I cant be colder for you. Oh I wish I had a fireplace. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!