Photos and text copyright Romping and Rolling in the Rockies 2009-2017.

All photographs and text within this blog are copyrighted.

You may not copy or repost any photos or text without specific permission from the author of this blog. When in doubt, please ask.

Friday, December 22, 2017

Happy Winter Solstice

Shyla and I have been out at sunrise most mornings recently. The early morning sunlight near the solstice glows so red! I don't like the short days of this time of year but the glorious sunrise light almost makes up for it.

When I look at these photos at other times of the year, I am shocked by the brilliance of Shyla's reddish fur.

One time last year at sunrise, Shyla started looking behind me with great intensity like in the photo below.
It turned out that a group of three moose were foraging their way toward us from behind me. Thanks to Shyla's wide eyes, I saw them in time, and we circled behind some pine trees to a safer place.

Shyla has become a great moose-early-warning system. She senses them far earlier than I do, and she either stares toward them or refuses to move in their direction.
I think that sunrises are my favorite part of winter. I am very grateful that the days will begin to get longer now, and I celebrate that! But, until the longer days are noticeable, I'll keep enjoying the sunrise light!

12 comments:

  1. i think our dogs save us from danger in many ways, both small and large, several times a day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hari OM
    Under our thick fog, no chance of enjoying even the sunrise, here at the Hutch! Shyly surely does shine... YAM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter Solstice is a benchmark for my Seasonal Affective Disorder :)
    mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautifully glowing photos of you, Shyla! Happy Solstice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love your beeYOUtiful pictures of Shyla. Happy Solstice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shyla always looks beautiful and stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is now an official Moose Patrol Pup! Good for her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We could use some of that sunshine here. It was a very cold, dark, and dreary day here. BUT maybe snow Saturday night:) Guess the pups will like that. We don't worry about moose following us here, but the dogs do have a way of letting me know when there is someone walking behind us:) Hope the migraine has improved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always think of you when the Winter Solstice comes :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shyla is such a smart dog! We are also glad the shortest day of the year is now behind us!
    Jan, Wag 'n Woof Pets

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's one smart girl. Glad you were able to stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

If you are a Blogger registered user, you can skip the step asking you to verify that you are not a spammer. For posts older than 5 days, I have comment moderation turned on.

Thanks for your comments!!!!!